Monday, August 13, 2007

Mind Your Language ?

English is of course widely spoken in Borneo, however, you might come across one or two who has no idea what you are trying to say.. .. so thought the following will come in “pretty handy”..

Here are some common Malay words & phrases

English Malay
Hello Helo
Good Morning Selamat Pagi
Good Afternoon Selamat Tengah Hari, Selamat Petang
Good Evening/night Selamat Malam
Welcome Selamat Datang
Please Come In Sila Masuk
How Are You Apa Khabar
I’m Fine Khabar Baik
My Name Is {Name} Nama saya..
I’m From Saya Dari
What is your name ? Siapa nama awak ?
This is {name} Ini {name}

Greetings
Goodbye(if you are the one who’s leaving) Selamat Tinggal
Goodbye (to someone who’s leaving) Selamat Jalan
See you again Jumpa Lagi

Directions
How do I get to Bagaimana saya ke …?
Please draw me a map Tolong lukiskan saya peta
Right Kanan
Left Kiri
Straight Ahead Terus
Here Sini
There Situ/Sana
Front Depan
Back Belakang

Asking Questions
Why Mengapa
How Bagaimana
Where Di mana
Who Siapa
What Apa
Which Yang mana
When Bila

Go Shopping
How much is this ? Berapa harga ini ?
Do you accept credit cards Awak terima kredit kad ?
This is too expensive Ini mahal sangat
I would like a bigger size Saya mahu yang lebih besar
I would like a smaller size Saya mahu yang kecil
Do you sell {item} here ? Disini ada jual {item}?

Common words
None Tiada
Many Banyak
Less Kurang
Thank You Terima Kasih
You are welcome Sama-sama
Sorry Maaf
Can you help me pls ? Boleh awak tolong saya ?
Yes Ya
No Tidak

No comments: